Importing Courses

Hi all

I have some old courses, created back in 2019 I think.

I’ve tried importing them, but I get an error saying they need to be V6 or newer.

The import screen says v2 onwards is fine. Has this changed, or is something else going on?

Thanks in anticipation…

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

It should be fine to import those courses. You can check your course version if you copy and unzip the zip files and check inside the Course folder, inside config.json.

Just checking with the devs if there’s a way we can get the courses loaded. We will also update the v2 on the update screen - oopsie!

The devs have given me a cheeky way to get your course(s) uploaded.

Unzip the course, open the config.json and change the _evolveVersion property to 6000 then zip the contents back up and try importing again.

Let me know!

1 Like

Hi there

That little work around did the trick. Thanks to you and the Devs!

Rob

2 Likes

I have the same issue with courses created in 2019. I tried to import them, got the v6 error, changed the config.json file _evolveVersion property to 6000, compressed (on Mac), and got a course failed to import: Missing files with a list of config.json courses

I unzipped the file to be sure the files were included an they were
Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.22.38 AM

I don’t know if maybe the issue is that these are Arabic courses? Anyway, I don’t know how to resolve this and could use some help!

Thanks in advance,
Sue

Sue,

Zipping things up natively on a Mac can often add layers of folders and random files that cause issues (and are not easy to see unless you examine the zip outside of Finder, which hides it all) - this is often happening when we try to upload font zips to Evolve that have been zipped on a Mac too. Very annoying.

If you can use another zip tool somehow or another machine that might fix your problem.

Let us know!

1 Like

Thanks, Helen. I’ll give it a go on a PC! Thanks for the quick reply.

1 Like

You can still use a Mac to zip/compress the files, the trick is to ensure you are compressing the files NOT the containing folder. This is a very common mistake on both Windows and Mac.

Hey there,

it might be not the exact same topic, but I am confused. I wanted to export a course to be able to import that course in another instance of Evolve. It seems that it worked, when I did use the Publish-Button and imported the exported SCORM-file.

However what I tried before was to use the option Export Course JSON (on the bottom left). When I did that and tried to import the course, the same Message came up as it was above this reply (Course failed to import: Missing files …). I guess I just missunderstood the meaning of Import/ Export Course JSON. Can you help me out, what this function is? I could’nt find anything on the Experience-Website.

Best regards
Lars

Hi @LoarsWoars - I’m not sure if this was the original intention for this feature but it is useful if you need to do a bulk find-and-replace in your course content… you’d export the JSON files, open them in something like Visual Studio Code, do a find-and-replace in all files then re-upload back into Evolve.

Similarly it can also be used to make bulk configuration changes… let’s say you have a course that contains a lot of MCQ & GMCQ questions and you decide you wanted to enable ‘randomize answers’ for all of them - you might find you could do that a lot quicker by editing the JSON files directly.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hey @Matt_Leathes,

thanks for clarifying - this makes absolutely sense to me and to be honest it’s a pretty nice feature. I will keep this in mind in case we need this later on.

Best regards
Lars

1 Like