How do I setup Course completion?

By default Evolve will register Completion when all components have been completed.

If you are using your Evolve course with a Learning Management System then it will register the course as complete when all the components have been viewed and/or answered.

Tailoring your completion to listen for specific interactions can be achieved in a number of ways.

At a macro level this can be by using any or all of these in combination:

• The Course Attainment Extension
  • The Achievements Extension
  • The Course Assessment Extension
  • Links component

Access these by:

1. Navigating to the course you want to edit.
  2. Select Extensions
  3. Toggle the relevant extension

Example:

Using Course Attainment to set completion on a specific component.

1. Navigate to the course you wish to edit.
  2. On the course, click the Extensions menu

extensions

1. Scroll to the Course Attainment Extension
  2. Click Edit
  3. On the next screen Edit Course Attainment, click Behaviour

1. Select Component from the Course Attainment Method dropdown

1. Click Show Components
  2. On the Select Components window enable any component that you wish to be part of course completion/attainment by toggling Set Attainment Component on each.

N.B. By default Evolve will automatically title a component by it’s component type e.g. “Matching Title” for a Matching Component. As components are added it is wise to to set the Component Title to make it easier to identify the components.

Tips

Check you have no empty Articles, Blocks or Components. These are known to cause issues with Learning Management Systems. Evolve warns you of any empty items when a course is published.

If you are having issues with completion turning on the Progress Extension can help you to see if items are being marked as complete and therefore identify where a problem originates.

If your course has more than one page then the progress bars on menu items can also be used to track down where an item isn’t completing correctly.

Hi everyone! :wave:

Just having an issue with Completion of pages in one of our courses.

I have turned on the Progress Extension and checked that all the Articles and Components are shown as complete before moving onto the next one.

However, once I’ve completed the six pages, the menu (Topic) that you can navigate to the pages from shows all of them between 83-94% complete.

From the Tip shown in your post, I would just like to clarify what “empty” means when referring to Articles (A), Blocks (B), or Components (C).

Is this specifically referring to the internal Title, Display Title, Body, or something else altogether in the ABCs?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there! :wave:

Being empty means that an article is without a block, a block I without a component or a component has no content. There would be a warning for this at the top of the screen for you. Titles do not contribute to this.

In order to get 100% the learner will have to interact with EVERYTHING within components - so if it’s an accordion, they must open every bar. If it’s a hot graphic they must click every hotspot, etc etc.

Does that help?

Hello hmaffin,

Thanks for getting back to me!

The information about the Articles (A) requiring Blocks (B) and Blocks requiring Components (C) not to be considered “Empty” is very useful.

However, I would like to clarify what you mean when you mention a Component having “no content.”

I think the problematic ABCs are the ones containing an Action Button Component, because my testing before adding those to the page had zero problems with Page Completion.

Are there any known issues with Action Buttons, Hidden Articles, or Articles included in Triggers affecting Page completion?

I’m not aware of any issues - can you post a screenshot of your settings for the action button?

After investigation this afternoon, I have discovered the issue.

The pages in this course each have an Article set to Hidden on the Page Builder:

This is “Unhidden” via certain interactions set up using Variables and Logic.

Regardless, in terms of page completion percentage showing in the menus generated by Evolve (when you nest Pages in Topics, and view the Topic), this usually hidden ABC is also required to be InView or Clicked (depending on how you have set the completion for the Component).

Therefore, one would have to interact with all the normally viewable ABCs, trigger the usually hidden ABC to be viewable, and then navigate back to that page to view/click on the previously hidden ABC to reach 100% completion for that Page.

My next lane of investigation is to find out whether a Hidden ABC can be automatically set to complete, and have that reflected in the menu feedback.

1 Like

Hi there,

In my testing to understand the mechanics of course completion for an Evolve course presented in Exceed/Intellum, I’ve discovered the following hypotheses. Please can you help validate or correct them?

1. There are FIVE ways an Evolve course can be marked as ‘Completed’ in Intellum:
  • all the components have been viewed and/or answered (DEFAULT)
  • The Course Attainment Extension
  • The Achievements Extension
  • The Course Assessment Extension
  • Links component

Am I missing any?

1. using the Action Button component with logic set to, ‘Set Course to Complete’ does NOT register course completion in Intellum. (Perhaps this only works within Evolve itself?)

2.1. To use a button to mark course completion, one must use the Course Attainment extension and set the completion criteria to Components = Action Button:

1. Course completion status for users is automatically reset when new content is pushed to update an existing Evolve course in Intellum.
    For users who had already completed the course, Intellum will no longer show it is completed or passed. Aside from any outreach like Letters, the following notification is their only way of knowing the course has been updated?

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 20.34.35

3.1 However, if updating Intellum-based (non-Evolve courses), updating content does not reset the completion statuses of the course (probably not as relevant to this forum).

Thanks for any insight you can share on these points!

Hi @hbailey - tagging you here in case you don’t get notifications on old threads. Any wisdom or resources you might share on the above questions would be helpful, please :slight_smile:

Yes - and that’s probably why you’re getting the issue you mention in point 2… you need to go into the course settings > Behavior and under ‘Select How Your Course Should Set A Status’ select Logic Completion. Hopefully that should resolve the issue for you.

I will try and find out the answer to 3. for you

1 Like

@Max_C regarding points 3. and 3.1 could you get in touch with support regarding this? It’s really more a function of the Intellum Platform than Evolve - and it’s likely they’d need to be able to view an example of what you’re referring to in order to be able to advise properly.

Hey Matt, that’s great, thanks for the tip on updating ‘How Your Course Should Set A Status’, at the course settings level.

For points 3 and 3.1, I’ve checked with our internal Intellum support and the response is encouraging:

Essentially, the completion status will never go backwards, so completions won’t disappear in the backend when new updates are pushed in (for both Evolve and pure Intellum courses). Once completed, it stays completed for that user.

But, on the front interface that the user sees, the completion status does seem to get removed when a course is updated but this is superficial as the system in the backend keeps the recorded completion.

Any progress on a course that is part way done, but not completed, seems to be fully reset. In my first post, I wasn’t distinguishing between ‘completion’ and ‘progress’.

The user can then choose to do the course again which would only update their (already completed) status, causing it to reveal again in the Intellum interface as well, I think.

Cheers for your help on this all!