Filename disappears from downloaded asset

I am uploading a file (word doc) to the Resources section and then creating a link within a page to download the document. This all works fine but the original filename of the downloaded document is lost and replaced by ‘File’, which is not super helpful. Is this a known behaviour or am I missing a step in the process?

Thanks

Jeremy

1 Like

This is known behaviour, it’s to do with how the resources are stored on the server. It is possible to tell the browser to change the name of the file as it downloads but then it would have to be downloaded every time i.e. files like PDFs wouldn’t open in the browser. But I guess so long as that’s made clear it might be a useful addition to Evolve.

Hi Jeremy,

You can get a file to download with a pre-assigned filename if it’s a PDF. It is a bit of a faff though. I have to save the Word doc as a PDF, open it in Acrobat, open the document properties and add the filename I want in the document name property field. After that it’ll open in browser and download with my chosen file name.

Have a look at the Team Vision sheet in topic 2 of this course: https://juvolearningsolutions.evolveauthoring.com/courses/5ef45fb220dcc2481c48a361/preview/index.html?isShared=true

1 Like

Many thanks both - at least is seems that there is a solution.

Jeremy

Hi Andy,

does this solution still work for you?
I’ve tried your approach, but I didn’t have any luck so far.

This solution did not work for me either. But I may have been doing it wrong.

I would be happy for the file to simply download rather than open in the browser.

Thanks.

@id3 & @BarryBPS Sorry for not clearly explaining the workflow to get the file to download with the desired filename. I missed an important step - don’t put it in the Resources Extension. If you look at the address bar in the earlier sample, and in this quick test https://juvolearningsolutions.evolveauthoring.com/courses/636e1dee2444210870a848fd/preview/index.html?isShared=true
you’ll see how to do it. In short, stick it on AWS.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Andy_Moorman !

It’s good there is an existing workaround for this issue, but I’d love to see Evolve implement a solution for this.

1 Like

It appears this is still a know behavior in Evolve as my resource files are all downloading as “file.xxx”. In my situation, I need to provide PPT documents as templates, so I can’t take advantage of the workaround provided in the thread for PDFs.

Are there any other options for getting the resource files to maintain their original file names?

Hi Michelle,

I don’t use the Resources extension because of this (unless it’s for links to web pages).

Instead, I create a folder locally named ‘resources’, which I then paste into the root of my published courses.

Within the course, I create a content item using the Additional Content extension and then I create links (using the Insert Link button) to the resources like so:

./resources/YourFileName.pdf

Hopefully, this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers, Barry

It’s not ideal I know but you could zip up the file(s) in question. That way only the zip file would be renamed to file.zip - the file(s) contained within it would not be renamed.

You could also host the files outside of the course - which could be a useful thing to do anyway as learners may well want to be able to access them without having to launch a piece of elearning to do so.