Multilanguage / Course localisation

Hello,

Hope you are all well.

I’m opening this discution topic, to ask about a feature that is not yet available in Evolve (which is an excelent tool btw), but which I believe should be made available as soon as possible: The multilanguage / Course localisation option. :slight_smile:

This feature is available in the Adapt Framework since 18 October 2016, and it seems only logical that it should be incorporated into Evolve.
I can only speak for me and my company’s behalf, but this modality is crucial for us, as our clients are spread worldwide and require multilanguage courses.
The requests are multiple and we need to deliver.

I’ll wait for your feedback and your updates roadmap.

Kind Regards,
Bruno

2 Likes

Does Settings> Language versions not do the job for you?

Hi @Bruno , a little bit late but it seems like this has not been implemented, yet. We are in the phase of choosing a Authoring Tool and this is the only big disadvantage compared to other tools on the market. How do you manage multilanguage courses?

2 Likes

@MikeM Evolve does indeed have language versioning and translation options built-in as seen below and has done for a while. If we can help with a demo or any other details do say!

You can read more about Translations here: Translate a Course : Intellum

I got freezes and time-outs when trying to export XLIFF files from most of our courses.

I presume that’s because our courses are considered “large,” relative to course sizes mentioned in your Help Center and such.

Is there any way around this at all? A lot of the translation companies we have approached claim that they can open SCORM files when it turns out they obviously can’t a couple of e-mails later.

Giving them an account on our LMS is not a very efficient way for them to extract text and such.

Hi @hbailey,
thanks for you reply and excuse my belated one. Yes, I am aware of this functionality but from users and administrators perspective, this is more complicated to what we see in other tools. It would be much easier to have on multi-language course afterwards and not one file (SCORM,…) per language. In our LMS (Cornerstone) we would need to upload each language separately and users would see one course per language and not only one course with an included language picker.
Regards
Mike

1 Like

In my case it is the opposite, I have the course in an LMS and I want that person to enter to be able to choose the language in which to read the course. I can’t find how to activate so that the user can choose the language. I have already translated the modules and they all have two English and Spanish versions

Currently there’s no function in Evolve to have multiple languages in one published course, they have to be separate, then you can use functionality of the LMS to let them choose which course they load.

It would be possible with Logic to copy all the content of the Spanish course say into the English course, and use triggers off a “language picker” to hide all those pages/articles that aren’t the language required.

I understand that a language picker menu could be added if one would manually put together the content and then apply the corresponding logic. That being said: We translate our courses into up to 12 languages, which is why this approach would be less than ideal for us. Currently (using Cornerstone LMS) and when using Evolve in particular, we get around that limitation by simply creating a curriculum that includes all languages, i.e. the user can pick the corresponding SCORM package from there.

Are there any plans by Intellum to provide a functionality that would dynamically create a language picker menu based on the available language versions, and package the whole thing up in one SCORM package? That surely would be a nice option to have! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A number of clients have requested this too so upvote for this :arrow_up: