Learner Name variable - troubleshooting

My organization uses Workday Learning as our LMS and the platform currently blocks access to the cmi.core.student_name info (privacy reasons), which retrieves the learner’s name from the LMS and displays it in a course via the use of the learner name variable.

As a workaround, I added a text box that saves input to the learner name variable, where learners can type in their first name and have it appear throughout the course. This works fine until the course is paused and resumed. In the resume state, the learner name variable changes to Learner Workday, attempting to retrieve learner’s name from Workday using the cmi.core.student_name info string, which is blocked. I do have the Bookmarking extension added, but this doesn’t retain the text entered by the learner.

Has anyone found a workaround to the blocked learner name variable? Would love to get any tips on what I can try.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Agnieszka
P.S. I did reach out to Support but they don’t provide any suggestions as to what else I can try, aside from stating that this is an LMS issue.