Evolve's JavaScript "unload" event in SCORMs

We have received an email from one of our vendors and I would like to get some info from an Evolve dev if possible. Here is what the vendor said:

I am reaching out regarding the upcoming deprecation of the JavaScript “unload” event in Chromium-based browsers, including Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. This change is expected to be fully enforced by Q2 2025 and may impact the functionality of SCORM content hosted on our platform.

As part of this deprecation, content that relies on the “unload” event for bookmarking, course completion, or other interactions may no longer function as expected. To prevent any disruption, we kindly request that you review and update your content to replace the unload event with the recommended pagehide event or other suitable alternatives.

We aren’t sure whether the current iteration of Evolve’s SCORM output uses this specific ‘event’ – and we need to ascertain if we’d need to re-export our whole library and reissue it to all our content partners.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Please see my response here: Chrome and Edge are deprecating support for the browser unload event - #2 by Matt_Leathes

1 Like

Thanks for the swift response Matt. I can breathe a sigh of relief!

@JordanDeftyTBM No problem! Also just to say there’s no need to republish courses as it’s been set up like that for years.

1 Like