Creating a Quiz without using course assessment

Hi,

I’m completely new to Evolve and have been asked to build one course with 3 independent quizzes that each need an individual passing score/option to retake.

Does anyone have a suggestion about how I can do this?

I know how to build multiple-choice questions and I’ve tried using the course assessment but that handles everything as a single assessment. I have tried searching the forum and looking for video tutorials but haven’t come close to find an answer but may not have the correct search terms.

Hi @kmarsden-jones the reason this isn’t supported by the course assessment extension is because a significant portion of Evolve courses are published for SCORM - and the SCORM spec only allows for one assessment score per course.

I think you might be able to set up something close to what you want using the Logic functionality of Evolve - but if you’re new to Evolve that might be quite a challenging task.

I would certainly recommend going through the three Learn Evolve courses on the Evolve Learning Hub (if you haven’t already) before attempting something like this.

1 Like

@Matt_Leathes reply is spot on - it could be done but would be tricky even for someone with experience in Evolve and with Logic to set up!

My suggestion would be to have the 3 assessments of your course in separate Evolve courses, all using the same theme and layout, but then link them in a path within your LMS, so you move between them as if they were just pages of the same course. That was you don’t have any tricky setup and you can gather the data of your assem=ssments easily, hopefully into one report, if your LMS is capable o that.

HTH!

Thank you for your insights.

Using the logic/dialogue functionality, I managed to create something that met the client’s initial criteria.

It was a great way to be introduced to Evolve’s logic options, even if it did feel like jumping in at the deep end. However having realised that there was no way to turn off the ‘show answers’ button on questions outside of the course assessment extension, the client ultimately decided to go down the route of having three separate course that will be linked together as a pathway in the LMS.

(Also, apologies for my delayed response. I came down with COVID partway through the process and today is the first day since that I’ve felt more human again.)

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that! Hope you’re fully recovered now, and glad you were able to work out not one but two solutions!

All the best
Helen

It wouldn’t have helped in this situation due to the requirement to hide the ‘show answers’ button… but I did just want to mention the Question Result component - as that allows you to give the learner feedback based on how many questions they answered correctly from a specific set of questions.

1 Like