Accessibility - text size codes and alt text on MCQ Icons

Hi!

I’d like to make a couple of requests relating to accessibility. Firstly, would it be possible to have an option for text to be coded with relative units (em, rem) rather than absolute units (px, pt), so that it responds to user-specified font size settings at browser level?

Also, could there be an option added to allow Alt text to be added to the correct/incorrect icons on MCQ’s?

Many thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Michael_Ditchburn other people have mentioned em/rem previously, I will be sure to note this request. For the icons on MCQs, just FYI - we did recently revisit the accessibility of the MCQ and the addition we made in terms of screen reader users being able to assess the right answers was when you select Show Answer you are told what the correct answer(s) to the question were. The Tick/Cross icon in any feedback is also acknowledged.
Cheers-Sam

You should be able to do that via Course Settings > Globals > Questions > Correct/Incorrect Icon ARIA Label

EDIT: oops my bad - that’s for the tick/cross icon that appears in the feedback. As @Sam_Cook_Evolve_QA says, selecting the Show Answer button will trigger the screenreader to read out the correct answers.

This is something that has came up in our accessibility testing too. Having em/rem for scalable text and alt text on icons will make MCQ’s fully accessible according to the WCAG guidelines

2 Likes

Having alt text for MCQ icons would be a big bonus for me as it means I can have feedback text that will not always list the correct answer(s) and I can show which answer(s) are correct just using the component icons. Em/rem seems a no-brainer too as it will further increase accessibility options in Evolve.

2 Likes

Level AA is mandatory for some of our public sector clients, and having ems/rems would greatly help meet WCAG SC1.4.4 (Resize Text) and SC1.4.8 (Visual Presentation).

2 Likes

Thanks all, I am going to raise em values as opposed to px with the development team.

1 Like

The ‘Show Answer’ button will make the screen reader read out the correct answers.

Hi all, the Evolve team discussed the em/rem text sizing issue - it would be a significant amount of work (with various technical considerations), so whilst we don’t have any firm timescales for when we can address it, we do understand it would be a really good addition for creating accessible content, so we will remain aware of it and how we might fit it into the Evolve roadmap.
Cheers-Sam