Reset MCQs when revisting the course

Hi, I’m not sure how I have not noticed this before, but it feels like quite a big issue for me that I hope is a simple setting change.

I have MCQs that display the feedback inline underneath the question. However, if you close the course down and reopen it again, you cannot answer the question again and the feedback is hidden, like so:

Is there a setting that will either allow the MCQ to be answered again, or retain the feedback underneath the answered question.

This question is not scored and part of an assessment, but I would like the learner to be able to see the feedback again.

Thanks.

And if I want to set an MCQ to unlimited attempts do I simply add a big number here:

I can’t seem to remember how I used to set an MCQ to have unlimited attempts.

Thank you.

Hi Barry, I have tried a few different settings and publish options, and it doesn’t look like it is possible to retain inline feedback displaying across sessions. The easiest workaround would be not to display the feedback inline (so the show feedback button is available)

I think a high number of attempts is the best way to allow the learner to repeatedly answer the question,

Hello. What we have done (using logic) is create a component - action button ‘Restart’ - that appear once the MCQ component is answered. When this Restart component is clicked, we associate a logic event > restart component MCQ, and hide the Restart button. Hope it is clear !

2 Likes

Hi Indusmakers,

Thank you for the idea. It works great.

Many thanks,

Barry

HI @Sam_Cook_Evolve_PO Thank you for your suggestion. I switched on the Show Feedback button, but this is greyed out for a returning learner. So it’s not possible to see the feedback again.

I think we may go with Indusmakers suggestion above, but this will aslo reset the SCORM completion to Incomplete until the MCQ is completed again.

Is there way of changing the SCORM settings so that once it is marked as Complete, it will remain as Complete?

Many thanks,

Barry

Hold that thought! I don’t think completion is reset. Let me test again and I will get back to you.

Hi Barry, it’s my understanding that in a SCORM LMS, once a completion status is set, it isn’t reversed, even if some of the content resets. But this should be checked to be accurate of course, as I don’t know if particular LMS might handle it differently.

cheers-Sam

1 Like

Hi Sam, I can confirm completion is not reset.

It’s the menu button progress indication that is reduced from 100% when an MCQ is reset. But as topic locking/unlocking and SCORM completion is not affected, I can live with this.

1 Like

Have ran into this exact issue and came to ask about it.

The core issue here seems to be that the feedback is not displayed upon revisiting the course. I am wondering if this is something that could be changed in future releases?

3 Likes

I agree with @Mitch - would love to see this in a future update!
Since the LMS/SCORM completion isn’t affected, it would be great if upon revisiting feedback would still be displayed.

2 Likes

Hi @Sam_Cook_Evolve_PO I hope you’re well.

Is there update on using SCORM 2004 to store the CMI interaction data? This would fix this issue without needing to provide a work around. It would also mean we can report on question data in Workday.

For anyone reading this, you can also fix the issue mentioned above by turning on the Local Storage extension.

Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s actually a very interesting point. Previously when I’ve worked with CMI Interaction data it’s always been with support for both SCORM 1.2 and 2004 as a requirement… but in SCORM 1.2 CMI Interaction data is write-only - therefore it wasn’t possible to use CMI Interactions in this way with SCORM 1.2. So I hadn’t actually considered that in SCORM 2004 it could be used as a way of saving and restoring the learner’s responses to questions…

1 Like

Thanks Matt.

Just so you know, I meant it ‘might’ help fix the issue, rather than it would fix it. I sounded far more confident than I am there! :grin:

It would be great if you could make it work for SCORM 2004 though.

We would really appreciate it.

1 Like

Just wanted to say this would be really valuable for us too.

We’ve used the local storage extension in the past to make sure the feedback remains available between sessions even when the question has been answered. Kinda works but we’ve found that extension can present some other issues when someone tries to reset the course and/or reversion the file on SuccessFactors. Never quite got to the bottom of why that is so the solution above would make life a lot simpler!

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure either but it’s an interesting idea nonetheless. My suspicion is that even if it is workable the simpler solution may be to store the learner’s responses (for the purposes of restoring that data in a subsequent session) in suspend data - and also send the learner’s responses to CMI Interactions but only for reporting purposes i.e. not attempt to read that data back in again. This would have the added benefit that it would also be usable (for relatively short courses) in SCORM 1.2 LMSes that don’t support CMI Interactions.

2 Likes

Hi Matt, if you could get this added, that would be great.

I’ve mentioned before in another thread that some of our LXDs have incorrectly assumed we can do question level analsis using the learner’s responses and an LMS. So, adding this functionality would useful for us.

1 Like