Moving articles between pages

Hi,

I’m currently building a course for a client and they have requested that we move a lot of articles from one page to another. Is there a way of moving individual articles between pages, so that I can avoid having to rebuild each article in the new location?

Thanks,
Abs

Hi Abs,
That’s super easy. Use Paste. It’s just under Live Preview - top right hand side. Then use the filter that pops up to find the Article you want to copy to the new location. To do that change the option from Current Page to Current Course, change the search to Article (it might be on Block or Component). Just make sure your Articles have unique names so you can tell which is the one you want to paste.

4 Likes

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. I’ve just tried this method, but I have less options available to me when I select “paste”, For example, I don’t see the 3 tabs across the top. Instead I see this:

I have an authoring account so though it may be a permissions issue. However, my colleague who has an admin account sees the same as me. Is there another account type needed to access the same paste options as you?

Abs

Im having exactly the same issue as Abs and get the same limited options. It would be great to really get this feature enabled.

Looks like you are clicking paste at the page editing level. Click on “Build Page” for the page you want to paste the content into. Then click “Paste”. You’ll then see the options for Articles, Components and Blocks. Remember to use the dropdown to filter from current page to the current course.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. Ive clicked on ‘build page’ and then clicked paste and I get this screen - am I missing something?

Thanks Andy, it’s working for me now. John, in your screenshot above, you just need to click on the down arrow to expand the “search components” bar. This gives you the full range of options:

Ahhhh… fantastic thank you both. That makes life sooooo much easier.

Hi, I am wondering if you paste from one course to another do the changes you make it the new course effect the old course as well? I seemed to have changed an image in a new course but it made changes in the other course I took it from.

Hi Shelly,

I know this is old but I wanted to answer your question.

Pasted items don’t get affected by changes in the original or vice versa (so if I duplicate an accordion from one course to another they are independent of each other - and if I duplicate a graphic and then replace the graphic just within the component for a totally new one, then again the original does not changes) . However all images share the asset library so if you update an instance of an image in the library then it will roll out to all locations where you have linked to that image from the library.

I hope that makes sense.

Hello, I have a question about moving pages between courses. It seems that the above answer is related to the old user interface. I cannot see the paste button in the new interface. Could you please help?

Issue: I want to move the whole page from one course to another. Am I correct that the same would apply if I would move an article from one course to another?

Thank you in advance!
Piret

Hi Piret,

Yes you can duplicate whole pages, or just articles or blocks or components into another course. Here’s how to do it:

Click the Add/Paste button in your TARGET course

Switch over to the Paste tab on the right hand side/settings column:

Select the item you want to paste (page, article etc)

If you are wanting to duplicate something out of a different course, first click the filter arrow seen in the search box here:

Then change from “Current Course” to “All Courses”

Then Search in the box for the title of the item you want to paste in. YOu will (should, assuming you have done the above) get a list of results. Find the one you want and click it. I it’s a Page it will be added to the end of your current page listing. If it’s an article or block it will ask where you want to paste it. If it’s a component it will want an empty space in a current block to be pasted into.

I hope that helps - let us know if you have any more questions.

1 Like

Hi Helen, this worked well for me! Thank you so much and have a great rest of the weekend!

All best,
Piret

1 Like