Fixed Course Navigation

From a pedagogical point of view, I think it’s important to be transparent about where you are in the learning process at all times.

That’s why I’m a big fan of having a page navigation open at all times. A navigation that ideally provides me with further information. For example, the progress of each page.

On the one hand, the course navigation extension is graphically too rudimentary for me. On the other hand, it has to be opened every time and it overlays the page.

I’m an Evolve fan and don’t like to compare with competitors. Nevertheless, to give you a better idea of what I’m talking about, I’ll show you an example of how it’s solved in Articulate Rise.

Thanks @Pablo, you raise an interesting point. There are other methods (albeit not as sophisticated as in your screenshot) that give the learner a sense of where they are on an individual page, such as the Scroll Progress and Article Indicator Extensions. But I will definitely keep the point you raise in mind.
Cheers-Sam

Dear @Sam_Cook_Evolve_QA thank you.

A temporary alternative for me is the Progress Extension with Sticky Nav enabled.

What I don’t like about it is that the navigation is below the main navigation and takes up a lot of space. Especially for smaller screens it takes away space for the content in height (that’s why I would prefer a vertical navigation :upside_down_face:).
As an optimization I suggest to make the navigation less high. I tested it briefly in the browser as a demo.

Hi @Pablo you can actually adjust the height of Progress as Sticky Nav - go to Theme > Extensions > Progress:

Does that help at all?
Cheers-Sam

1 Like

I sincerely apologise for the wrong request @Sam_Cook_Evolve_QA . This is fantastic! I didn’t find the progress settings in the theme settings before.

1 Like

Its unsurprising, the theme is huge! Glad that helped.