I’m in a bit of a pickle concerning infographics and screen readers. A member of my team has created a fantastic infographic that hides and reveals content when a learner selects a button. The problem is it’s not being picked up properly by a screen reader. I’ve tested it in NVDA and JAWS with similar results.
The infographic is a stack of newspapers with headlines and a short piece of text. The first newspaper appears along with a button to reveal the next newspaper. The screen reader picks up on the text and the button. The learner selects the button, and the next newspaper appears. However, if using the keyboard, the learner goes straight to the next button and the text is missed.
I’ve checked the focus order on the infographic, and all looks well. I’m wondering if I’ve missed something in the settings of the items.