Change text spacing?

Is there a setting for changing text spacing? By this I mean, if I have a paragraph of text, is there a way I can increase the vertical space between the lines of the paragraph.

1 Like

Yes! Go to your Appearance settings and edit your current theme.

Then go to Components in the left menu, then scroll down to Body Text Appearance and change the Line Height setting.

If that doesnā€™t work immediately in your live preview, you might need to do it in specific component types rather than just in components,

Thanks very much, I will give this a try!

It might also be Component Item settings, right down at the bottom there is ā€œComponent Item Content Body Text Stylesā€ too.

Unfortunately Iā€™ve found itā€™s a bit of experimenting and also depends on where you have put text. In the article, block, component, component item etc etc. You will probably want to set them all the same but you can vary them. Itā€™s very configurable but can be frustrating to find the right place to change something :slight_smile:

Hi there,
Unfortunately the line height setting changes the spacing between all the lines inside a paragraph.
Is there any way to add spacing between paragraphs?
Thanks,
Mark

I usually just do two line spaces if I want to increase that - or use multiples blocks with text for each paragraph? - not sure thereā€™s a css way to do thatā€¦

In CSS youā€™d normally add a margin-bottom to the

tag.

Like in Word, when you add spacing to a paragraph.

Itā€™s not good practice to add extra carriage returns, as the design should be separate to the content.

2 Likes

OK - is it this then?

Not quite - that adds space around the whole text, not individual paragraphs.

Currently the only way to add that spacing is to enter two carriage returns after every paragraph. That way of formatting hasnā€™t been necessary since we moved from typewriters to computersā€¦

Hi Mark -

Did you ever get this to work? Iā€™m trying to add paragraph space too, without the need to add a carriage returnā€¦ just wondered if you found a solution.

Thanks
Doug

Hi all,

I would also like to see ā€˜margin-bottomā€™ added to paragraphs.

Adding an additional line at the bottom of each paragraph means there is a P tag with nothing in it, and screen readers read this out as BLANK. While I havenā€™t had anyone complain about this, I could imagine itā€™s rather off-putting to hear the word BLANK between every sentence.

Many thanks,

Barry

1 Like

Yes. Paragraph spacing seems to be easy to do in CSS, but impossible in Evolve. Iā€™d love to see some high-level control of paragraph formatting, so that we donā€™t have to add in extra line breaks.
The extra line breaks really do make it a bad experience for screen reader users, and anyone who overrides the webpage CSS for accessibility reasons (e.g. large text).

Not exactly easy to adapt to meet accessibility standards.

2 Likes

Thanks Joseph/Barry, I will raise with our devs and see what they say.
Cheers-Sam

2 Likes

Back again.

I would love to have paragraph spacing added to Evolve as needing to add extra carriage returns does not look great. And for the reasons @Joseph_Dorrell points out above.

Hopefully, it is on your roadmap.

2 Likes

Agree with all the above comments - itā€™s especially noticeable on bulleted lists. Thereā€™s virtually no gap between them.

Hi ā€“ Any thought to composing your content in Word or other application (with the required paragraph spacing) and then pasting without cleanup? Ideally, this would be an Evolve theme or editor feature at some point, but if you have only a handful of items to do, might be a workaround.

Hi all,

I would really like to see the margin-bottom parameter added to paragraph and list styles.

As the paragraph margins are set to 0 in the CSS, we have no choice but to add an extra line between all paragraphs, and itā€™s not good practice.

The additional empty paragraph is also affected by the paragraphā€™s line-height so is bigger than I want it to be.

It also means a screen reader user hears the word ā€˜BLANKā€™ between every paragraph, and Iā€™m considering removing all paragraph spacing from within the course and then amending the CSS post publish.

Thanks for reading.

Barry

1 Like

Seconded! Something like this would be really helpful.

1 Like

Could the Paragraph Style Plugin be added to the Froala editor?

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but it looks promising :slight_smile:

Back again asking for paragraph spacing. :grinning:

It pains me to add additional paragraph breaks to space out text when it really should be controlled by CSS.

Iā€™m considering building courses without adding the additional paragraph breaks and then applying a post-publish CSS change to fix it. However, that would look messy in the editor.

2 Likes